Saturday, June 20, 2015

Mini review continued: 1/1800 HNLMS Java painted

After receiving my Shapeways order earlier this week, I got started on painting them fairly quickly.

When the aircraft models presented some difficulties because of the material's rough texture (kind of annoying on aircraft) I decided to switch my attentions to the 1/1800 scale warship I had also received instead.

This is the 1/1800 NL CL Java[1942] by matt_atknsn, for your reference.

Here's a picture of it painted up:

 


And here's the other side.


The camo pattern is actually asymmetrical, although it's hard to see at this angle. The biggest differences per side are on the superstructure.
As fas as I've been able to find, this is what the Java looked like during the Battle of the Java Sea in february of 1942, where she was sunk.

I went with very few different colours. After painting the main ones, I gave the whole model a wash of Citadel Nuln Oil. I then touched up certain parts with Citadel Astronomican Grey.

I might try adding a base at some later point, once I figure out a good method for making one.

My thoughts on the model

All in all, I quite like this model. The texture is still a bit rough, but I kind of like that for a warship like this. It's much less of an issue than with aircraft.

All of the critical details are there and pretty well-defined.
It paints up nicely and quickly.
The price is pretty reasonable at $7.04 as well.

Overall, I'd recommend this model.
I'm certainly planning on buying some more ships in this scale via Shapeways, possibly alongside some 1/900 scale aircraft to go with them for War at Sea and possibly some other games.

1 comment:

  1. Haha, ik had het op 4chan/tg kort gevraagd naar deze scheepjes. Zo blijkt maar weer, ook de online wereld is klein.

    ReplyDelete