Friday, June 19, 2015

Mini Reviews: 1/1800 HNLMS Java by matt_atknsn and 1/350 F-8 and MiG-21 by Kampfflieger

Earlier this week, I decided to explore a new source of miniatures, especially historical ones; 3D printing on demand via sites such as Shapeways.

I ordered two different products:
-1/1800 NL CL Java[1942] by matt_atknsn
-1/350 F-8 Crusader & MiG-21PF by kampfflieger

Shapeways offers options for different materials for some models, such as the aircraft in my order.
I went with the default and cheapest option, WSF (White, Stong and Flexible).
I'd read that this material would have a slightly rough texture, which might become visible when painting, but decided that it would be OK for a test case.

After placing the order on monday, I the indicated time to delivery was roughly 1 week. However, the models were completed even faster than that, as they were shipped on thursday and arrived on my doorstep on friday. A pleasant surprise.


The models arrived neatly packaged; they came in individual ziploc bags for each product, in a box padded out with bubble wrap; nice and safe.
There appeared to be no damage from the shipping.

HNLMS Java:


There's quite a lot of detail on the Java, although some of it won't show up properly in many pictures because of the lighting. The surfaces are kinda rough, but we'll see how that looks after painting.

All in all, I'm quite satisfied with this model.
This is also another step on the path of having both sides for the Battle of the Java Sea in miniature at 1/1800 scale, which is a long-term project of mine.

F-8 Crusaders and MiG-21PFs:



There's less detail on these, although all of the essential bits you'd see at this scale (cockpit edges, ailerons, rudders) are there. I suspect that these would still look nice when painted up, although I'm not sure how things will work out with the texture here.

Do note the design of four models on a single sprue to make a single product. I quite like this as a design decision since you'll probably need multiple models of the same type at this scale anyway.
The designer also has sprues with just one aircraft type, so it's not as if you're being forced by buy aircraft you might not be interested in either.


I'll post another update once I've painted several of these models.

No comments:

Post a Comment